This spicy and creamy tomato basil pasta with artichokes and pepperoncinis (I know, that’s a mouthful, but you’ll want to take gigantic mouthfuls of this pasta when you eat it, so it seems fitting) is SO GOOD.
I feel like I begin all of my recipe posts just about the same way.
But it’s because I don’t ever share recipes we don’t absolutely love (why in the world would I do that?), and seriously, this is one of our favorites among our favorites.
It is so good.
It is a rare day for Aaron and I to go out to eat, so when we do, it’s a real treat. We typically like to try different places and get different things off their menus, but when we lived in Waco while I was in grad school, we found this hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that we fell in love with, and I got the same dish from the menu every. single. time.
It was called the Murphy, and it was this absolutely divine combination of chicken, pasta, and a sweet, spicy, creamy tomato basil sauce with chunks of artichokes and pepperoncinis. SO GOOD.
Did I mention it was so good?
Well, we moved from Waco, which means we also moved away from this beloved Murphy dish, so I decided to try to recreate it myself so I could have it any time I wanted.
After a few test runs, I’m pretty sure this is IT.
I’ve made it several times since getting the recipe exactly where I want it, and every time I make it, we always smile, sigh, and probably devour this in complete silence.
I’m all about conversation around the dinner table, but everyone can just eat in silence, savoring every bite of this, and then once every last bite is consumed and every last bit of sauce is sopped up with a slice of garlic bread, y’all can all sit there for an hour talking about how good that meal was.
In all seriousness, this is one of the best dishes EVER and it’s a total family favorite now! It’ll surely convince your family to get to the table and gather ’round together over a meal!
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ c beef broth
- 2 8oz cans of garlic, oregano, basil flavored tomato sauce
- 1 14.5oz can Italian tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Small dash of garlic salt
- Small dash of black pepper
- Small dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 pepperoncini peppers, diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 7.5oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts (diced and drained)
- 8 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lb uncooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- ⅓ c heavy whipping cream
- ¼ c Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb spaghetti
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute or two.
- Add broth, stir, and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, sugar, seasonings, pepperoncinis, tomato paste, and artichoke hearts. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add basil leaves and chicken breast. (At this point, begin cooking the spaghetti as directed on box). Cover sauce and simmer on low for additional 15 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked).
- Add heavy whipping cream and cheese; stir and simmer for a couple more minutes before pouring onto cooked pasta.