Football season is upon us. Fall is almost here.
It’s time for some chili, folks!
But this isn’t any kind of chili…it’s pumpkin chili!
I promise, it doesn’t taste like pumpkin, and it’s not sweet. The pumpkin just gives it some extra “oompf” and adds even more nutritious value to it. This chili is awesome – it’s full of flavor, full of heartiness, and it’s pretty healthy!
And please don’t tell the state of Texas, but it’s full of beans, too. Putting beans in my chili is probably the only un-Texan thing I do. Dear Lone Star State, please forgive me.
Let’s get cookin’! You start out by doing a little prep work before adding all of the ingredients into a slow cooker.
First, begin browning some ground meat (you can use lean ground beef or lean ground turkey – sometimes I do a mixture of both).
Once the meat is mostly cooked, add in the bell pepper and onions.
Continue to cook the meat and veggies over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked and the veggies are fairly soft.
Add all of the seasonings and stir until they’re pretty well mixed in with the meat and veggies.
Ready to add to the slow cooker!
Add meat mixture, cans of beans (drained and rinsed), tomatoes, and pumpkin to the slow cooker, and then pour the broth on top.
Stir until everything is mixed well.
Cover & cook on low for 5-6 hours (or longer if you want the flavors to meld together even more!).
Serve topped with cheese, or perhaps over baked potatoes with some cheese and sour cream! This chili freezes well – you can make a double batch and freeze half of it for later. I promise, you’ll be wanting more of this pumpkin chili anyway! This has definitely become my go-to recipe any time we want chili around our house.
All that texture and all those flavors combined. Mmm mmm.
And can you believe this stuff is actually good for you?! I promise, it’s not too good to be true.
Have I mentioned I love fall foods?
Enjoy serving up and eating this chili! It won’t disappoint!
If you’re looking for some other fall recipes, check out some of these winners!
- 1 lb lean ground meat (beef or turkey)
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1.25oz packet of chili blend seasoning
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2.5 c vegetable broth
- Saute meat in large skillet over medium heat until mostly browned (but not fully cooked).
- While some of the meat is still a little pink, add the onion and the bell pepper and saute until meat is fully cooked and vegetables are getting soft.
- Add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Add spices (packet of chili blend, cayenne, oregano, and cumin) to meat mixture. Stir until spices evenly coat the meat and veggies. Remove skillet from heat.
- Pour contents of skillet into 5 qt. slow cooker.
- Add beans, pumpkin, and tomatoes. Pour vegetable broth on top. Stir everything in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours (or longer if you'd prefer).
- Serve topped with cheese or over baked potatoes and sour cream!